1. add up to

合计达;总括起来意味着。此语本义指合计为,在日常多用喻义,即总括起来意味着。在用中应注意与add up一词有什么区别。add up本指把 加起来,其喻义为言之有理,说得通,如:The facts just don't add up.,意即求同存异。

A: What do you mean? 你的意思是?

B: Considering the major contracts they might give us, I overlooked1 the small loss. 考虑到他们可能与大家签订大宗合同,小小的损失我就忽视不计了。

A: So you agreed to differ? 所以你就求同存异?

B: That's right. 没错。

3. all told

合计;总之。此语原义为总计,合计,引申为总之。如:All told,it was a great credit to them.

A: How many people attended today's meeting?有多少人参加了今天的会议?

B: There were seventeen of us at the meeting, all told. 一共有十七个人。

A: Issue an announcement that if somebody doesnt attend meeting next time, his or her bonus will be deducted2. 发布一则公告,就说假如有人下一次不参加会议,他或她的奖金全扣。

4. all wet

搞错了。wet原义为湿的,引申为某人没经验。All wet多见于美国俚语,意为大错特错。

A: I made a reservation two days ago. My name is David Johnson. 我前天在这儿预约了房间,我叫戴维-约翰逊。

B: Reservation? What do you mean? 预约?的意思是?

A: I booked a single room here for tonight. 我订了一间今晚的单人房。

B: Oh! You're all wet, actually. This is not a hotel. The hotel is the building across the road. 哦,你搞错了。这不是旅馆,旅馆是路对过的那座楼。